The 1st Experts Group Meeting on Corruption
and Money Laundering
(May 13-14, 2008, Ankara, Turkey)
The 1st Experts Group Meeting on Corruption and Money Laundering was held in Ankara, Republic of Turkey, on May 13-14, 2008. It was attended by the delegates from the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Islamic Republic of Iran, The Republic of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Republic of Turkey along with the representatives of the ECO Secretariat.
The Heads of Delegation made their statements highlighting their country positions on the issues relating to corruption and money laundering. The delegates outlined the following aspects.
- Nature of crimes of corruption and money laundering.
- Existing regulation for combating these crimes.
- Measures taken and processes as well as legal instruments put in place for dealing with offences.
- Procedures for initiating investigation, prosecution and penalties imposed for predicate offences.
- Institutions/authorities established and entrusted with the responsibilities and their functions/jurisdiction.
- The methods of reporting suspicious transactions and procedures of issuing regulatory directives.
- Operational issues faced/encountered by relevant/competent authorities in addressing the problems.
- Coordination among relevant authorities (inter-agency/inter department coordination)
- International/regional conventions signed/ratified by the Parties.
- Technical devices/use of technology for investigation of TNC.
The meeting considered the Draft Plan of Action, prepared by the Republic of Turkey. It was decided that the Member States would further consider the Draft Plan of Action in consultation with their relevant authorities and provide inputs. In the light of views and comments, the subject Plan of Action will be finalized during the 2nd EGM.
The delegates stressed the need for adoption of a common strategy at the regional level to tackle the issue of Money Laundering and Corruption. In this regard, it was decided to initiate work on the preparation of a Draft ECO Agreement on Prevention of Corruption and Money Laundering. The delegation of Pakistan agreed that the Draft Framework Agreement will be prepared by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan by 31st August 2008.
The meeting agreed to establish a Joint Working Group to implement the Plan of Action on Combating Corruption and Money Laundering directing to training activities. Capacity Building of the organizations on Combating Corruption and Money Laundering in the Member States and cooperation with international organizations were also deliberated by the experts.
The Republic of Turkey offered to hold seminars, training and information meetings in a designated country in accordance with the Plan of Action. The EGM proposed that the training course of 2-3 days may be considered to be hosted by the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The EGM proposed following topics for the training programs:
- Legislation on Money laundering and corruption.
- Provisional measures and confiscation
- Responsibilities of legal entities.
- Customer Due Diligence.
- Investigative Techniques
- Reporting suspicious transactions.
- Record keeping.
- Functions of Financial Intelligence Units.
- Examining the main international conventions and initiatives.
The EGM also considered various upcoming events concerning ECO Ministers of Finance and ECO Heads of Central Banks to be hosted by the Islamic Republic of Iran, Pakistan and Turkey. It was desired that subsequent EGMs on Corruption and Money Laundering may be considered to be hosted by the remaining Member States particularly, the Republic of Azerbaijan, Kyrgyz Republic and the Republic of Kazakhstan.